Saturday, February 20, 2010

50 things...No. 5

"Intellectually I know that America is no better than any other country; emotionally I know she is better than every other country." ~Sinclair Lewis

"We identify the flag with almost everything we hold dear on earth, peace, security, liberty, our family, our friends, our home. . .But when we look at our flag and behold it emblazoned with all our rights we must remember that it is equally a symbol of our duties. Every glory that we associate with it is the result of duty done." ~Calvin Coolidge

I am sure that if I was born in a different place I would be grateful that I was a citizen of that country. However, I was born in the USA and I am so proud and thankful that I am an American. I love to travel and visit other countries, but I always look forward to coming home. I think my deep sense of patriotism comes from my grandparents (my grandfather was in the Navy) and from my parents (who believed in God, Family & Country).

My family would always sing patriotic songs at family gatherings (if I close my eyes, I can hear them belting out "God Bless America") ...I have great memories of going to my great-grandmothers and watching the 4th of July parade go by... I remember singing "This Land is Your Land" in our junior high school chorus...I enjoy going to baseball games and listening to the national anthem being played...I love having the freedom on election day to vote for the candidate of my choice...I can recall visiting my kid's school in the weeks following 9/11 and hearing the sweet voices of the children say the Pledge of Allegiance...and I am so thankful for the men & women who serve in the military (words could never express my gratitude for them).

I just love the fact that the United States was founded on the ideals of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails