Monday, September 27, 2010

The ABC's of Life...W is for Wonder

"We need a renaissance of wonder. We need to renew, in our hearts and in our souls, the deathless dream, the eternal poetry, the perennial sense that life is miracle and magic." ~E. Merrill Root

"Sophistication scares the wonder out of us. Cynicism downright annihilates it. Wonder leaves no room for meaness... for where wonder is, kindness is also. Wonder isn't harsh, but as gentle as rain." ~Connie Powers

"The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificient world in itself." ~Henry Miller


"You shall see wonders." ~William Shakespeare
"Wonder is the beginning of wisdom." ~Socrates

"If you enjoy living, it is not difficult to keep the sense of wonder." ~Ray Bradbury

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead."
~Albert Einstein

"A man is a very small thing, and the night is very large and full of wonder."
~Lord Dunsany


I hope I will always have a curiousity about life.
I hope I will always be in awe of the earth and the oceans and the heavens.
I hope I will always be amazed at all creatures (great and small).
And my biggest hope is that I will pass this "sense of wonder" on to my kids.

4 comments :

  1. Love your "wonder" Dawn! Those egrets are gorgeous! My dh takes lots of egret photos; he loves them. I'll share this with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Connie Powers quote! And the Henry Miller quote is perfect for me - I tend to get lost in the little details... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quotes, as always, and the egrets are amazing! Don't remember ever seeing that many together before. You are getting to the end of your ABC's.... wondering if you will start over??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids & I had gone to watch the sunrise at the beach (which was a "wonder" in itself) and on the way back to our house we saw the group of egrets in the wetlands, right off the side of the road. I pulled over on the shoulder and took the pictures from my car (across 2 lanes of traffic). It was sort of sad that so many cars just drove by, not even realizing what was right outside their window.

    Jana...I remember some of the photos that your hubby had taken (I think you had done a LO using some of his pictures before?).

    Thanks Eva...I love that Connie Powers quote too, and the one by Henry Miller really spoke to me.

    Patty...I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I'm up for suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails