Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December ABC's...A is for Advent.


"Advent is concerned with that very connection between memory and hope." ~Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

"Life is a constant Advent season: we are continually waiting to become, to discover, to complete, to fulfill. Hope, struggle, fear, expectation and fulfillment are all part of our Advent experience...may this Advent season be a time for bringing hope, transformation and fulfillment into the Advent of our lives." ~Connections

I think that every December 1st starts out the same way...with me saying to myself "I can't believe that it's December...it seems like it was just summer!" Then my very next thought is to get out our advent calendar. We've had our little wooden advent cabinet since the kids were toddlers...it was a gift to our family and it's one of our favorite holiday traditions. Over the years we've had small toys, candy, money and notes fill the tiny drawers. My son opens the odd days and my daughter opens the even days...and together they open the 24th. Today there were some Dove chocolate bars in the drawer...and the Promises message inside one of the wrappers said "Joy to...you."

The word "advent" comes from the latin word "adventus", meaning "coming". For me, Advent is more than just the period of time that includes the four Sundays before Christmas...it's a time of anticipation, patience, peace and celebration. There are other words that I like to keep in mind throughout this month (when things can get a tad busy)...words like gratitude, wonderment, simplicity, joy, generosity, grace, love and hope. My goal for this season of advent is to appreciate the little things along the way...to enjoy each moment...and to find something to celebrate in each & every day. And really, truth be told, that's my goal for each and every day throughout the year.

Joy to you.

1 comment :

  1. How perfect that the December ABC's should start with A for Advent! :) I love that we have this time to prepare and enjoy, before the real celebration. While christmas gift making is allowed - and encouraged - throughout the whole year, all other christmas related stuff is banned from my life until advent starts. I wish you a lovely advent time, filled with joy and anticipation! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails