Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December ABC's...D is for Drummer Boy.

"The manner of giving is worth more than the gift." ~Pierre Corneille, Le Menteur


"It isn't the size of the gift that matters, but the size of the heart that gives it." ~Eileen Elias Freeman


"But it is a cold, lifeless business when you go to the shops to buy something, which does not represent your life and talent, but a goldsmith's." ~Ralph Waldo EmersonWhen I think about all the different things that make up "December", watching the classic holiday movies is near the top of the list. As a child I remember anxiously awaiting "The Grinch" or "Rudolph" or "Frosty" to come on tv...because that meant that Christmas wasn't far away. I also loved the songs that went along with the shows...and "The Little Drummer Boy" is one of my favorites.


Now that I'm an adult (as I'm running around trying to find that perfect present), I try to remind myself of the story of the drummer boy...that the best gift isn't the most expensive or the biggest. The best gift isn't fancy...it's usually very simple (often homemade). The best gift is the one that's given from the heart. It's what the spirit of Christmas is all about...love.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails