Monday, July 27, 2009

Seeing...yet not seeing

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see" ~Henry David Thoreau
"It is the familiar that usually eludes us in life. What is before our nose is what we see last." ~William Barrett


The other day I had an hour of "free time" without the kids, so I decided to take my camera and go for a drive (with no destination in mind) to take some pictures. I stumbled upon a peaceful creek, a flock of birds sitting on a telephone line, a lovely produce stand with gorgeous red tomatoes...and the most beautiful & interesting tree that I have ever seen. I knew for sure that I had never come across this most unusual tree before...the blossoms were like fine white bristles. The white gradually turned pink towards the tip and then ended with tiny yellow dots. This tree was unlike any I had glimpsed before, or so I thought! On the way back home I kept seeing this same type of tree over & over again...I must have counted 8-10 different times. Then, as I was turning into our neighborhood, I noticed this tree right around the corner from our house! I didn't need to drive miles & miles from home to find something unique & unusual...all I had to do was open my eyes and "see" what was right in front of me all the time!

Despite doing numerous Google searches, I haven't been able to identify what type of tree this is...any ideas? Anything that you have just recently noticed for the first time?

"The real voyage of discovery consists of not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." ~Marcel Proust

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails