Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Mother's Garden...

"She is a Gardener. She works with her hands. She plants seeds. She watches growth. She waters the hedges. She understands the seasons. She follows the sun. She believes in nature. She knows about life. She affirms the living. She sees poetry in each flower. She reads meaning into each day." ~Anonymous


I found this verse on the web over a year ago (I don't remember where) and I wrote it down in one of the many notebooks I have scattered around the house. I could almost believe that the author must have written it with my mother in mind! My mom is in her element when she is standing ankle deep in dirt, surrounded by nature, with a trowel in her hand. When you ask her what she wants for her birthday, her response is "mulch". She talks to the the birds...and to dogs & horses...and to flowers (and yes, she is sane). She'll carry a plastic container of earthworms that she collected from our yard to her house (which is about 3 hours away) and release them in her garden. She sees magic in the web of a spider and finds joy in the petals of a flower. My mother is one of nature's most beautiful gifts.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails